Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Office, studio, sewing room, the hole?

I will set the scene:  We were looking for a bigger place to live, there were 6 of us in a 16x18 trailer.  I have to digress for a moment.  This is not a sad country song story, it was a nice trailer, real roof, siding and windows kind, actually in some ways I miss it.  Anyway we still needed more room! So we were looking.  At the time I had started sewing for other people and my sewing room was the in the huge master bath and my office was in our room, I love what I do but I will say waking up in the morning and the first thing you see is your workload for the day is not a real motivator. 

So we are looking for a new place preferable acreage, five bedrooms, and yes the twins can share and the 5th is supposed to me "MINE"!!!!!!  So we find our new home, it is out of town quite a ways, our kids have to open enroll to stay in the same school, but for me and Total Show Image, it is perfect.  Four bedrooms upstairs and the fifth is downstairs and off of the dining room and bathroom, good light, I tell you it's perfect.  Perfect for school papers, the kids craft projects, things no one knows what else to do with, you get the idea.  So a while ago I laid down the law and told everyone to get there stuff the heck out of my office.  My family has been very responsive to my head actually rotating around 360 degrees while I yelled this so that issue has been solved.  I still have a little trouble keep them out but their stuff is at least gone.  I did have to acquire a makeup mirror and move my make-up in there and I am in the process of trying to figure out how to get my hair stuff in here and where to put a mirror.  5 women/girls in one bathroom trying to get ready? Yeah I give up on that one. 

So this room is now called the office, but I really don't like that name for it.  I think this is a much more creative space than that.  I am a fake it till you make it kind of a girl.  I feel that if I view this space as a creative, productive space that is what it will become.  Don't worry I'm not going to start chanting, I am a good Lutheran :).  To some, my husband and kids included, I'm silly.  It's the same room no matter what you call it.  So I will keep pondering and dreaming on the day that it is IKEA cabinets floor to ceiling with my table always fully extended in the middle and counter workspace and sewing tables built in. 

Oh, for you guys out there, don't feel bad for Todd, when we were house shopping he just really wanted a garage and he got a 40x60 building, (well, half of that is for the horses...:)).

No comments:

Post a Comment