Saturday, February 4, 2012

Winter is finally here, maybe?

It's a gray day here, and winter might actually show up.  I for one am looking forward to it.  I have the Ham and Bean Soup in the roaster and will get some bread made later.  Yes I am one of those women that like to do that kind of thing, I love to think and knead bread and see the look on people's faces when they find my food doesn't come in a box.  I think I would have been a pretty good pioneer woman, I can cook, sew, butcher about anything, grow a garden, put it up for winter; all that stuff.  Especially living in a soddie cause then no one would have noticed the dirt! (The only part of my 'housewife' personality that is majorly lacking :)).

Winter at my house means a couple of things, NO MORE MUDDY FOOTPRINTS!!!  I told you you were going to hear about my dogs alot.  Any way we, really I, have two Weimaraners Belle and Gus they are 4 and 2 1/2.  Yes they live in house, all the time.  We have an outside kennel for them and I do use it in the summer if we are going to be gone for a long time but in the winter, well let me say it this way.  At County Fair, (the kids are in 4-H, FFA and I am a club leader and on the Fairboard, so you'll hear stories about that too) someone asked how their coats come in and how they handle the winter.  The look on their face was priceless when I stated that they don't really get a winter coat because they just go outside to potty. Back to my original thought, winter, real winter, also means time at home.  I know that we are all busy but I really enjoy the forced time at home, I mean when you live even 10 miles from town like we do sometimes you just have to go without for a few days.  I grew up in the country and remember those days fondly.  My husband however grew up in town and we lived in town until our oldest was in 7th grade.  When we had our first big storm after we moved out here, I can remember the conversation we had and how they both looked at me like I was crazy when I said you just stay put until the snow plow goes by.  Remember we don't live out the the nowhere lands of the Dakota's or Wyoming.  We live in Iowa pretty much the longest you are going to be snowed in is a day once the storm goes by. Perspective folks!

So I don't know how much I'll be in the studio today, oh that is a good blog subject I'll cover later, right now I am enjoying my coffee and looking out over the brown fields slowly turning white.

No comments:

Post a Comment